Question about args.exp test

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Thu Apr 22 14:20:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:33:34AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 21 14:44, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:40:40PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Why is args.exp expecting two apostrophes and who's supposed to add them?
> > > The args testapplication apparently isn't.
> >
> > IIRC, the comments are wrong.  The tests can not be fixed for the ARM
> > simulator, though - I spent several days trying.  Trace the path that
> > argv takes through from the GDB prompt to the inferior main(), if you
> > want some gruesome entertainment:
> >   - it is word split by GDB before invoking the sim
> >   - it is reconstructed into a string by the sim/RDI interface
> >   - it is word split again in either newlib or libgloss, in handwritten
> >     assembly
> >
> > The interface simply does not permit properly quoted arguments.
>
> Uh, that explains it.
>
> Thanks for the description,

Should probably be xfail'd for arm-elf.  I never did because,
conceptually, someone could be testing arm-elf with a different target
than the simulator and a differently protocol than RDI and a different
library than newlib - but in practice I doubt anyone does, so if you
want to stick a comment and some xfails in...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz