struct environment

Andrew Cagney ac131313@ges.redhat.com
Mon Sep 16 22:03:00 GMT 2002


> 
> Why do you want to have multiple available implementations?  I think
> the overhead for always hashing is small enough.  There are only two
> reasons struct block allows hash tables or linked lists:
>   - overloading of the meaning of that list to represent a list of
>     function arguments, which is ordered
>   - warts in mdebugread that I was not patient enough to overcome when
>     I finally merged in hash table support
> 
> I suppose the first reason is a legitimate one for multiple
> implementations; we could mark an environment as 'ordered'.  Or we
> could stop overloading the meaning of the list that way.  I don't know
> which is better.

Daniel's observation is correct.  The last thing we need is something 
totally overengineered.  Is there any reason to not start out with a 
very simple implementation and get it working first?

Only once the structure is working correctly should we be thinking about 
making it work fast.

Andrew




More information about the Gdb mailing list