[rfc] read_register_gen(...) -> cooked_register_read (current_regcache, ...)

Andrew Cagney ac131313@ges.redhat.com
Fri Jun 28 16:01:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I wrote:

> Note the fixme though:
>
> +      /* FIXME: cagney/2002-06-26: This should be via the
> +         gdbarch_register_read() method so that it, on the fly,
> +         constructs either a raw or pseudo register from the raw
> +         register cache.  */
> +      regcache_read (registers, regnum, bufferp);
>
> I've opened a change-request against that one.

I'd like to propose a new pair of functions

	cooked_register_read(regcache, regnum, buff)
	cooked_register_write(regcache, regnum, buff)

that provide a superset of the functionality found in
read_register_gen() and write_register_gen().

I'd also replace the read_register_gen() / write_register_gen() calls
with calls to these functions but with a current_regcache parameter.

thoughts?

If this change looks good, I'm ready to do that long promised documentation.

enjoy,
Andrew