[RFC] RE: bfd/cpu-powerpc.c, bfd/cpu-h8300.c problems (bfd_lookup _arch)

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Mon Jun 3 11:43:00 GMT 2002

> Hi all,
>
> I bump with same problem on h8300 arches, and for solving this problem
> one and for all, I see next 2 ways:

Hmm, yes, two occurances of the same problem definitly suggests the
current technique isn't maintainable.

> 1) export from archures.c something like
>
> 	const bfd_arch_info_type *bfd_get_lookup_arch_head
> 		(enum bfd_architecture arch);
>
>    This is not so good, because it assume hacking bfd internals.
>
> 2) Or, put gdbarch_printables_names to bfd like:
>
>    const char **bfd_machine_printables_names (enum bfd_architecture arch);

There is bfd_arch_list().  A per-architecture one would do what GDB
needs.  See gdbarch.c:gdbarch_printable_names().

--

I should note that GDB pulls another swifty.

It runs config.bfd so that it can identify the default bfd vector
(${targ_defvec}) (for the byte-order) and default bfd architecture
(${targ_archs}) (for the default architecture).  Perhaps there should be
interfaces for these as well.

Andrew