Does gdb 5.2 support gcc 3.1.1 on Linux/mips?

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Sun Jun 2 22:42:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:09:06AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > Then could you check if the produced binary is incorrect?  That error
> > > usually indicates linker error.
> >
> > Did you imply gdb 5.2 worked fine for you with gcc 3.1.1 running on
> > your mips platform? My Linux/mipsel gcc 3.1.1 seems to work ok
> > otherwise:
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-06/msg00069.html
>
> I haven't tried it in a while, but 3.1 snapshots worked fine with 5.2
> release, yes.

I doubt it is a linker bug. I have a simple C file. I cross compiled
it to Linux/mipsel on Linux/x86 with gcc 3.1.1. I got

# gcc -g ~/tmp/s.c -o ~/tmp/s
# gcc -g ~/tmp/s.c -o ~/tmp/s.o -c
# readelf -dw ~/tmp/s.o > /dev/null
unsupported or unknown DW_CFA_17
# readelf -dw ~/tmp/s.o > /dev/null
unsupported or unknown DW_CFA_17
# gdb ~/tmp/s
DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str section

It looks like a gcc/gas bug to me. Can you tell me what you get with
your gdb and readelf on the enclosed s.o and s as well as what you get
with s and s.o compiled from s.c with your gcc 3.1 mips compiler?

Thanks.

H.J.