1) SIGTRAP issue :/ 2) libbfd

Keith Warno keith.warno@valaran.com
Mon Jun 25 10:17:00 GMT 2001

Keith Warno wrote:

> 1) I recently upgraded glibc on one linux box to 2.2.2.  I built it from
> source tarballs and now, for whatever reason, I cannot debug any
> programs with gdb.  I wind up with something like the following:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/kw/a.out
>
> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
> It might be running in another process.
> Further execution is probably impossible.
> 0x40001fa0 in ?? ()
> (gdb)

*Sigh*.  I fight with this for a day, nearly give up, then post to the
list.  30 mins after I post, the solution dawns on me.

I have a somewhat weird login setup as my login shell (bash, of course)
is a child of ssh-agent.  In other words, after login, my shell if the
equivalent of ``ssh-agent /bin/bash --login''.  This is for convenience
in the world of SSH more than anything else but now that I think of it,
probably not the wisest of ideas.

For reasons unknown to me, when my login bash shell is a child of
ssh-agent gdb barfs as shown above.  When not a child of ssh-agent gdb
works fine.  The question for the members of this list is simply: why?
I unfortunately don't know enough about signal handling in the context
of the shell to take a stab at this one.  :/

Regards,
kw