need of SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP

debashis mahata debashis.mahata@wipro.com
Mon Jun 18 06:16:00 GMT 2001

Hi,
I am
just a new comer in GDB internals. I have a doubt regarding the necessity of
SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP in the function resume() (file: infrun.c). My working
platform is Sparc- Solaris 5.8 and going through the code of GDB 4.18. The
question is :

The
file procfs.c have the support for single step using the PRSTEP flag (function:
proc_run_process() ). Then, is there any specific reason behind doing
SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP rather than using the proc system support? Will there be
any hidden side effect if I disabled SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP_P and use PRSTEP for
single stepping?

Looking forward to an early response.
Thanks
in advance.