[doc/gdbint.texinfo] \xdef\manvers{\$Revision: 1.142 $}

Stan Shebs shebs@apple.com
Fri Jun 15 11:03:00 GMT 2001

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> gdb/doc/gdbint.texinfo contains:
>
> > \def\$#1${{#1}} % Kluge: collect RCS revision info without $...$
> > \xdef\manvers{\$Revision: 1.142 $} % For use in headers, footers too
> > {\parskip=0pt
>
> I'm wondering if that should be changed to use gdb/version.in?  I guess
> it really depends on what the purpose of it is.
>
> Anyone know?

Without researching it, I'll guess that this is old junk that Gilmore
added long ago, on the theory that cvs commits would result in a new
version number that could show up in a formatted manual.  Of course,
since it's for TeX only, doesn't help with info files, web pages (the
web not yet having been invented at the time!), etc.

It would be maximally careful to check that the macro isn't secretly
referenced inside texinfo.tex, but other than that I don't know of a
reason not to just whack this.

Stan