using perl in gdbinit
Keith Seitz
keiths@cygnus.com
Wed Feb 28 07:53:00 GMT 2001
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Edward Peschko wrote:
> I'd like to use perl in gdbinit to make gdb commands and bind them to a key.
> So I could say stuff like:
>
> local($/) = undef;
> my $functions = `info functions`;
[snip]
I would guess that you should be able to add a perl interpreter to gdb. I
don't know a whole lot about how perl was written, but if there is a way
to create your own perl interpreter like this:
init_perl ()
{
g_interp = Perl_New_Interpreter ();
}
You should be able to do what you want (albeit in a hacky kind of way).
For insight, we added a tcl interpreter and bound tcl's command parser to
the gdb command "tk". We also have a tcl command, "gdb_cmd", which can be
used to execute gdb commands in the tcl interpreter.
I could do things like what you want above (although I never have):
(gdb) tk set help [gdb_cmd help]; puts stdout $help
(gdb) tk set functions [gdb_cmd "info func main"]; puts stdout $functions
Of course, you are still leaving yourself at the mercy of gdb's human
readable output, so you'll need to parse gdb's output to do some things
well.
Keith
More information about the Gdb
mailing list