Debugging frameless code

Nicolas.Thery@Symbian.com Nicolas.Thery@Symbian.com
Fri Sep 29 02:27:00 GMT 2000

Kevin Buettner <kevinb@cygnus.com> wrote:

>  >  To  be  more  precise,  is  it  possible  to dump stack backtrace for
frameless
> > code using a recent version of gdb and elf/dwarf2 (and gcc as the
> > compiler)?
>
> In some cases, yes.  For example, I've been able to do this for
> Linux/IA-64.  (But it's also the case that as the optimization gets
> more aggressive, this could fail.)
>
> Which target in particular were you wondering about?

Thanks for your answer.

I'm interested in ARM/THUMB debugging.  Currently I use GDB 4.17 (from
Cygnus GNUPro 98r2) with PE-COFF/STABS.  With that configuration backtrace
does not work if the involved functions are frameless.  I was wondering
whether the situation would be improved by using a more recent version of
GDB and/or ELF/DWARF.

I looked at the ARM backtrace code in the GDB CVS repository a couple of
months ago and it seemed quite similar to GDB 4.17 but I may be wrong.

Nicolas