gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

Eli Zaretskii eliz@delorie.com
Thu Sep 7 08:02:00 GMT 2000

>   Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:09:50 +0200 (MET DST)
>   From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>
>
>   Yep.  This means that getting HW watchpoints working for
>   multi-threaded processes is a bit difficult, since GDB expects them to
>   be process-wide.  So any HW watchpoints will have to be inserted in
>   *all* threads, not just one as we do now.
>
>   Eli, this probably means that adding the debugging registers to GDB's
>   register cache isn't a good idea.  Something more specialized is
>   needed, i.e. a native-dependent interface that updates the address and
>   control register in all threads.  This might implicate that keeping
>   the actual HW watchpoint support a native-only thing is a good idea.

Why ``native-dependent'' and not ``target-dependent''?  Won't the same
problem affect any multithreaded ia32 target?  Or am I missing
something?

In any case, would a special array of debug registers be an okay
solution?  The elements of that array will be set by
ia32_insert_watchpoint and ia32_remove_watchpoint (to be written), and
target-dependent subroutines which resume the inferior and get control
when the inferior is stopped will access that array to pass the
registers to the debuggee.