gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

Stan Shebs shebs@apple.com
Tue Sep 5 18:02:00 GMT 2000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> >   Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:32:22 -0700
> >   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
> >
> >   If you can generalize it for ia32, I will implement it for Linux/ia32.
>
> The code on go32-nat.c manipulates an array which represents the ia32
> debug registers, including the status and control registers.  It
> leaves it to resume() and its subroutines on the target end to
> actually insert the watchpoints when the inferior is resumed and
> remove them when the inferior stops and control is passed to GDB.
>
> If this model suits most or all ia32 targets, pulling the code from
> go32-nat.c into a separate module (probably, as part of i386-nat.c)
> would be very easy for me.  If not, I'd ask the relevant maintainers
> to tell what provisions should I make for other platforms to fit in.
>
> >   If it won't be fixed in 5.1, I will follow your hints and implement a
> >   Linux only solution when it happens to me again.
>
> I can do this Very Soon (tm) provided that I hear a GO from The Powers
> That Be.  Andrew?  Stan?  What say you?

Uh, is there any reason not to?  We tell people that GDB can support
h/w watchpoints, seems like we ought to deliver it on our most popular
platforms.  Perhaps I could be evil and insist on adding a testsuite test
that would take 24 hours to run if h/w watchpoints don't work... think
that would help motivate anyone? :-)

Stan