gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Tue Sep 5 08:49:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 03:33:54PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>    >   If it won't be fixed in 5.1, I will follow your hints and implement a
>    >   Linux only solution when it happens to me again.
>
> A generic x86 solution would be preferable, but a clean, well
> documented Linux-only solution is certainly welcome.

Given do it clean, do it fast and make it to work, you can only
pick 2 if I am the only one to do it. Since I don't have much time
to do it, I have to pick do it fast.

>    I can do this Very Soon (tm) provided that I hear a GO from The Powers
>    That Be.  Andrew?  Stan?  What say you?
>
>    >   Hardware watchpoints
>    >   have been known to be broken on Linux/ia32 for a long time and nothing
>    >   has been done to it.
>
> Apparently nobody cares enough.  It isn't at the top of my priority
> list so if nobody else contributes the necessary code, it probably
> won't happen in the near future.

It has to be fixed in 5.1, one way or the other. The worst case is
I will make my kludge available to the Linux community.

H.J.