gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Mon Sep 4 08:49:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:47:13AM +0100, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> > It is too bad that not many gcc developers using --enable-shared to
> > configure gcc under ia32. See
>
> Well, on Linux, gdb fails to restart a cc1 / cc1plus executable that is
> statically linked, which makes debugging very tedious.
> So I always patch my Makefile to use static linking.

That is a very annoying bug in gdb 5.0. When I set a breakpoint in
the shared library, I have to disable them before restart. Also it is
very hard to debug ld-linux.so.2:

# gdb ld-linux.so.2

H.J.