Program executes too slow to debug under gdb

Paul Nolan pnolan@cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 01:59:00 GMT 2000

Hello,

Can anyone offer some suggestions on how I can debug my application at a usable
speed under gdb?  I`m using RedHat 6.2 on a 500mhz Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop,
and have tried gdb 4.18 and 5.0, as well as other Linux distributions
(several testers have reported the same problem too).  I`ve tried compiling with -

optimisation turned on, but with the same results - my app runs so slowly under
gdb that its almost impossible to even select a menu item in less than 15
minutes.  The only things I`m doing that might be considered the slightest bit
unusual is calling a lot of functions, often recursively, to levels 40 or so
deep, and using several linux threads.  If you would like an example, there is a -

.tgz archive of the app here:
http://www.paulnolan.com/Linux/Updates/PhotogenicsB89.tgz

Thanks in advance,

Paul