GDB-Protocol: Formalize ``!'' extended remote

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Wed Jun 16 18:27:00 GMT 1999

   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:01:42 +1000

   At present there are two general forms of the remote protocol ``remote''
   and ``extended-remote'' (there is also extended - extended - unofficial
   - confused - remote but that is another issue ;-).

   At present the user must issue ``extended-remote'' before GDB will try
   to use that command.  I'd like to propose that, instead GDB always try
   for extended-remote (sending the ``!'' packet and if nack'd revert to
   the old protocol.

I think that would be great.  I vaguely remember that someone didn't
want to do that originally because of old stubs not complying with the
requirement to ignore unrecognized packets, but if you have the
override option that possibility is covered.

								Stan