Testsuite Organization Proposal

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Mon Jun 14 17:12:00 GMT 1999

   From: toddpw@wrs.com (Todd Whitesel)
   Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:03:49 -0700 (PDT)

   Might there be cookbook instructions for isolating a single test out of the
   testsuite and running it manually? Anyone hoping to do more than 'make check'
   pretty much needs to know how to do this. I tried asking some gcc people for
   help on this, but they quickly gave up, claiming the gcc/gdb testsuites were
   structured unlike each other and that they wouldn't be able to help me.

Running a single file is easy:

	cd <objdir>/gdb/testsuite
	make check RUNTESTFLAGS='bitfields.exp logical.exp'

I think DejaGNU actually allows full regexps as arguments for finding
which test files to run, I haven't experimented much myself.

Don't think there's any way to run a single test in a file, there's
usually a bunch of setup to get to a particular test.  In fact, I
would want to keep .exp files down in size so that it's not too slow
to run just one of them, 50-100 tests/file or so.

								Stan