breakpoint extension for remote protocol, take II

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Mon Jun 14 16:59:00 GMT 1999

   Date: 14 Jun 1999 16:47:32 -0700

   Bleh.  But that's what the 'q' escape is for.  IMO, all experimental
   protocol extensions should be using 'q'; likewise, GDB should never
   use 'q' itself.

You mean like with qOffsets, that's been standardly issued by GDB for
years? :-)

Actually, I don't ever remember hearing that 'q' was supposed to be
experimental, and the existing docs don't seem to say so either.  At
this point we would have to pick a different char I think, and be very
disciplined about not allowing any usages of it into the standard
sources, so that it really can be for experimentation.

In general, we have a sizeable documentation gap with the remote
protocol; it's become so ubiquitous it ought to have its own RFC... :-)

								Stan