What's with all the Cisco stuff?

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Thu Aug 12 18:39:00 GMT 1999

"J.T. Conklin" wrote:

> What's the deal with all the Cisco-specific stuff ending up in GDB?

I'll ignore the politics :-)

At a technical level, the ``cisco-stuff'' highlights a limitation of the
current target vector - you can't build up a true target stack.  (To get
a knife out, here I'm not talking about that *(&!@)$(& strata tha
currently exists in GDB :-)

The CISCO code should be implemented as a sequence:

	o	open the target using generic ``remote.c''.

	o	create a new target that passes through most
		requests but every so often interseeds an
		operation with a cisco specific on.

Re-vamping that code, isn't trivial - I looked at it doing some fixes
for the the d10v target.  At the time I backed away.
At present the task sits in my input stack :-(

	Andrew