worst case symbol lookup performance

Jim Blandy jimb@cygnus.com
Wed Aug 11 19:22:00 GMT 1999

Hah.  At the GDB meeting I just gave a presentation about GDB's symbol
table structures, in which everyone was astonished at the lack of hash
tables or trees or anything reasonable, to which I happily replied
that lookups were fast enough without them.  Well, I guess that didn't
last long.

How many object files do you have?  That is, how many entries are
there in your objfile's psymtab list?  I don't see why lookup_symbol
should be calling lookup_partial_symbol once per symbol.  Twice per
psymtab, yes.