enum xyz;

John Marshall John_W_Marshall@palm.com
Mon Aug 9 10:24:00 GMT 1999

> The standard explicitly states that incomplete enums types are not
> permitted.  If need be I can dig out the standard and find the
> specific section that states this.

6.5.2.3 and in particular footnote 62 on page 62:

	A similar construction with enum does not exist and is not
	necessary as there can be no mutual dependencies between
	the declaration of an enumerated type and any other type

> It's a GCC extension; [...] my reference is the 'Incomplete Enums'
> node of the gcc manual (file: gcc/extend.texi).

Amusingly enough, this node of the manual doesn't think it'll be very
useful either: you really want just a pointer to an enum?

    John   "ISO-C police wannabe :-)"