Proposal for handling large numbers of registers

Michael Hayes m.hayes@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Aug 6 18:36:00 GMT 1999

J.T. Conklin writes:
 > I'm not sure that a compilers notion of register classes make sense
 > for debugging and vice versa.  For debugging, broad categories like
 > "integer registers", "floating point registers", "system registers"
 > seem to be most appropriate; while compilers think of classes like
 > "registers that can be used for indexing", "special register used
 > for integer divide instructions", etc.

For most targets I have looked at, these other classes you mention are
usually sub-classes of the "integer registers", "fp registers", etc.
However, I can see from most user's perspectives that they will not be
interested in these special sub-classes.

Michael.