Remote debug of unix apps ???

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Thu Dec 31 13:07:00 GMT 1998

   Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:07:02 -0500
   From: Stuart Adams <sja@brightstareng.com>

   I want to do remote debugging of applications on an
   embedded Linux target. I can't run gdb on the target
   in some scenarios due to memory limitations. (The embedded
   target is self-contained an boots from 2 MB flash memory).

Cool...

   Has anyone done any work in this area ??? (It seems that at
   the very least it would require a remote version of ptrace.)

Check out gdbserver, in gdb/gdbserver.  It's basically a little
proxy for ptrace, it makes the ptrace calls, and communicates
with the host GDB via the standard remote protocol (target remote
or target extended-remote).

							Stan