Any way to avoid inserting & removing breakpoints?

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Thu Dec 17 17:39:00 GMT 1998

jtc@RedBackNetworks.com (J.T. Conklin) writes:

> I finished my breakpoint extensions prototype, and discovered that GDB
> inserts all enabled breakpoints when program execution is resumed, and
> removes them when it regains control.

Yes, this is a "feature".  It's pretty well wired into GDB.  It might
be possible to make insert_breakpoints() and remove_breakpoints() do
some sort of caching-like thing, but I'm not sure that all target
memory reads know about substituting original code, so you might get
punished when you're doing disassembly or prologue analysis.

							Stan