Switch to pure ANSI?

Per Bothner bothner@cygnus.com
Mon Dec 7 18:55:00 GMT 1998

> To those folks I believe we can say "use GCC".  Are there any other platforms that
> would be adversely affected?  Are there any other bad consequences to
> changing the standard?

[I think this point was brought up, but I don't remember the resolution.]

How does this effect three-staging the tool-chain?  I.e. traditionally,
we would first build the tool-chain with the "system" compiler, then
re-build everything with the newly-built gcc, then re-build with
the still newer gcc (and verify that the last two were identical).

It is persumably simple enough to just leave gdb out of the first
stage, if we don't already do that, but of course note we cannot
leave bfd or binutils out of the first statge.  But has this change
been blessed by releng?

	--Per