gdb/2237: "set" command refuses to set a register

Sascha sascha@pasalacqua.de
Mon Mar 12 07:38:00 GMT 2007

The following reply was made to PR gdb/2237; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Sascha" <sascha@pasalacqua.de>
To: <gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: gdb/2237: "set" command refuses to set a register
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:29:33 +0100

 I experience a similar problem debugging an ARM application on an embedded
 device.

 Especially after changing the CPSR register (changing the operation mode,
 which can bring banked registers with invalid stack pointers to front) GDB
 often refuses to set any more registers - you can't even reset the cpsr
 register.

 During startup the stack pointer does not contain valid values either, so
 setting registers will fail here, too.

 If there is no valid stack frame, I would expect GDB to simply set the
 original cpu registers.

 Hopefully this will be fixed. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the
 internals of GDB to be of any help.

 For those interested: I found the small conversation about the problem here:
 http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-05/msg00017.html

 Sascha