gdb/2237: "set" command refuses to set a register

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Mon Mar 5 13:08:00 GMT 2007

The following reply was made to PR gdb/2237; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: Stephen Ma <stephenma@telus.net>
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/2237: "set" command refuses to set a register
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:03:47 -0500

 On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 06:36:23PM -0000, Stephen Ma wrote:
 > Sometimes the "set" command refuses to set a machine register, complaining that "Value being assigned to is no longer active".  This refusal presumably has something to do with inactive register variables in C -- but my program is pure assembler.

 No, this has nothing to do with C register variables.  It's a known
 bug in GDB: we use the same representation for "no stack frame is
 active" as for "a confusing frame we can not backtrace past is
 active".

 You can find some discussion of it in the mailing list archives for
 gdb-patches; unfortunately no one has fixed it yet.  If you use a
 larger test program, where you are in a function called from _start
 when you try to set registers, GDB should work better.  Thanks for the
 report.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz
 CodeSourcery