backtrace/2224: backtrace doesn't work with bochs stub anymore

godmar@gmail.com godmar@gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 03:08:00 GMT 2007

>Number:         2224
>Category:       backtrace
>Synopsis:       backtrace doesn't work with bochs stub anymore
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Feb 07 03:08:02 GMT 2007
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     godmar@gmail.com
>Release:        6.5-15.fc6rh
gdb used to show backtraces when used with bochs 2.2.6. It did so in version 6.3.0.0 shipped with FC4. It fails to do so with  6.5-15, shipped with FC6.

The reason, I speculate, is that bochs sends the following reply to the $qOffsets query:

$Text=0;Data=0;Bss=0#

qemu, on the other hand, simply ignores the qOffsets query, but on qemu, backtrace works.

With bochs, gdb 6.5 never sends the necessary $m's to examine the backtrace.
See:

Is there a way to make gdb work the way it worked before?

 - Godmar

>How-To-Repeat:
Fire up bochs with gdb, connect to it, set a breakpoint, go to breakpoint, type "backtrace" - you won't see the backtrace past frame #0.