gdb/2222: Impossible to debug FreePascal programs on AMD64 Linux

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Fri Jan 26 12:28:00 GMT 2007

The following reply was made to PR gdb/2222; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: viktor.nagy@abmm.hu
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/2222: Impossible to debug FreePascal programs on AMD64 Linux
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:20:16 -0500

 On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 08:54:04AM -0000, viktor.nagy@abmm.hu wrote:
 > With FreePascal 2.0.4 you cannot examine the stack local variables.
 >
 > The FreePascal developers say this is a gdb bug:
 >
 > http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=8215

 Unfortunately, their view of the bug is a little too simplistic.
 Making this change would break some cases that actually work and fix
 others that don't, just moving the problem around.

 Stabs, as the GNU tools use it, is a 32-bit format.  The offsets are
 all 32-bit.  When we see "fffffffc" in stabs, for an offset, it's
 pretty much impossible to guess whether that's 0xfffffffffffffffc
 (-4), or 0x00000000fffffffc (~ 4GB).

 Do not use stabs on 64-bit platforms.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz