gdb/1999: gdb does not start

eckmann@physics.unige.ch eckmann@physics.unige.ch
Fri Sep 2 07:18:00 GMT 2005

>Number:         1999
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       gdb does not start
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Aug 25 18:58:00 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Jean-Pierre Eckmann
>Release:        unknown-1.0
gdb refuses to debug anything, even programs, like "hello world". I can reproduce this problem with rpm's, building from scratch

as soon as I say "run"  it says

I guess this is a mismatch with some library tsl? libc?

GNU gdb 6.3
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/eckmann/export/it

[1]  +  7140 Suspended (signal)            gdb it
tcsh>fg

Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
>How-To-Repeat:
looking through google this seems a FAQ, but I could not find an answer. In particular  ignoring signals does not help