breakpoints/1918: Setting pending breakpoints is not scriptable, at least not intuitively

greenrd@greenrd.org greenrd@greenrd.org
Thu Apr 14 17:38:00 GMT 2005

>Number:         1918
>Category:       breakpoints
>Synopsis:       Setting pending breakpoints is not scriptable, at least not intuitively
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Apr 14 17:38:02 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     greenrd@greenrd.org
>Release:        6.3.50.20050413
I wanted to script the setting of a pending breakpoint for another gdb bug report, but I could not work out how to do so. When gdb is used interactively, attempting to set a breakpoint on a symbol that does not yet exist will trigger the question:

Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n])

However, in scripting mode, this question does not occur, and there is no documented option to the b command in "help b" to do a pending breakpoint from a script.
>How-To-Repeat:
echo b bogussymbol >tempfile
/usr/src/build/gdb/gdb -x tempfile ls