pending/1912: Re: gdb does not notice when a Java native library is loaded via classmap.db

Robin Green greenrd@greenrd.org
Sun Apr 10 14:18:00 GMT 2005

 On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:29:54AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > gdb does not notice when a Java native library is loaded via
 > > classmap.db (the new "BC API"). (Not very surprising, since this
 > > feature of gcc-java is quite new!)
 >=20
 > I am certain that you are wrong about this.  I have been using this
 > feature for at least a year, and if it you were right I would not have
 > been able to get anything done at all.

 Apologies. The real problem, I think, is that I was using gdb to attach to
 another process. When I instead launched the process from gdb, it worked.

 You mentioned in IRC that you thought this was a known issue, because the
 implementation cannot register to receive shlib load events after the progr=
 am
 has already started.

 However, I just searched for an existing bug along the lines of "gdb doesn'=
 t notice
 libs being loaded after being attached to a running process", but I
 couldn't find a PR in the database that covers this.

 I guess there are actually two bugs here:

 1) The limitation itself;

 2) gdb fails to warn you about the limitation at runtime - and it even offe=
 rs
 to set a pending breakpoint for you, an offer which it cannot fulfill,
 apparently!

 I'll file two new bugs for these tommorow, unless advised otherwise.

 --=20
 Robin