shlibs/1906: runtime LD_LIBRARY_PATH not read

hubert.degaudenzi@cern.ch hubert.degaudenzi@cern.ch
Wed Apr 6 07:38:00 GMT 2005

>Number:         1906
>Category:       shlibs
>Synopsis:       runtime LD_LIBRARY_PATH not read
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Apr 06 07:38:01 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     gdb
>Release:        6.1post-1.20040607.52rh
The LD_LIBRARY_PATH set on the command line is not read by gdb. Instead gdb is reading the profile files like .profile, .login, .cshrc, etc. I don't know if there is a good reason for this behavior but it's troublesome with trying to debug dynamic librairies. It's undocumented and it took my months (and the help of strace) to find out why gdb could not read my .so files.
>How-To-Repeat:
- do not set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your login/shell conf scripts
- set it on the command line
- test your executable with ldd
- try to debug with gdb