gdb/267: g++ 3.0.1: breakpoints in ctor, dtor do not work

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Thu Nov 1 10:28:00 GMT 2001

The following reply was made to PR gdb/267; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: richter.jens@freenet.de
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/267: g++ 3.0.1: breakpoints in ctor, dtor do not work
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:32:21 -0500

 On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 05:18:34PM -0000, richter.jens@freenet.de wrote:

 > >Number:         267
 > >Category:       gdb
 > >Synopsis:       g++ 3.0.1: breakpoints in ctor, dtor do not work
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Responsible:    unassigned
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          sw-bug
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Fri Dec 28 09:28:01 PST 2001
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     Jens Richter
 > >Release:        gdb 5.1
 > Breakpoints in constructors or destructors will never be activated in g++ 3.0.1 code. (Setting a breakpoint at the
 > start of the ctor with br A::A() works, but this is not
 > what I need).

 Yes.  That's because GCC 2.95.3 had ctors/dtors implemented via a
 hidden parameter, while GCC 3.0.1 does it via cloned functions.  GDB
 needs to recognize this somehow and set breakpoints at the appropriate
 place in all functions.  This requires considerable work, but it's on
 my TODO list.

 Thanks for filing it so I won't lose it again :)