[Patch 2/7]: 68HC11 port of gdb (sim)
Tue Jun 27 22:17:00 GMT 2000
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:09:17 +0200
> From: Stephane Carrez <Stephane.Carrez@worldnet.fr>
> > > gdb/sim/m68hc11/dv-m68hc11.c
> > > gdb/sim/m68hc11/dv-m68hc11eepr.c
> > > gdb/sim/m68hc11/dv-m68hc11sio.c
> > > gdb/sim/m68hc11/dv-m68hc11spi.c
> > > gdb/sim/m68hc11/dv-m68hc11tim.c
> > The names of these 5 files all clash after truncation to DOS 8+3
> > namespace limits, so they make it harder for users to unpack the GDB
> > distribution on MS-DOS and Windows 3.X systems. Since these files are
> > all in an m68hc11 subdirectory, I wonder whether you could remove the
> > m68hc11 part from the file names altogether?
> I've tried to follow the mips simulator where the file names are
> and they have the same problem you pointed out (mn10300 either).
Yes, and they will all probably be changed in the future. But the
fact other files have the same problem is still not a good reason to
introduce new problems.
Each such file requires additions to scripts that fix the file-naming
problems on 8+3 filesystems, and it would be nice to avoid these
> I understand a rationale to restrict to 14 characters, but 8 is too short.
I don't see how so. If I remove the redundant parts from a name such
as dv-m68hc11eepr.c, I'm left with eepr.c, which still leaves a lot of
real estate to play with.
I respectfully request to try to avoid additional file-name related
problems when introducing new files. Solving these problems is a
long-term goal of the GDB maintenance. Thank you for your
More information about the Gdb-patches