ppc instructions in gas

Richard Henderson rth@cygnus.com
Thu May 6 20:13:00 GMT 1999

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:05:30AM -0000, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> I don't have the context of the original message.  The addis/lis
> instruction is documented to take a signed operand.  I don't know why
> it makes sense to remove PPC_OPERAND_SIGNED.

Context is that gcc doesn't emit signed, and some of the ppc linux
kernel sources don't use signed values either.  This worked for
ppc32 due to the PPC_OPERAND_SIGNOPT hack, and only showed up when
Cort started work on ppc64.

We iterated enough to conclude that we should in fact fix gcc, and
the kernel sources.  The one remaining question is whether to continue
to silently accept unsigned values for ppc32, or whether we should
warn for them.

Thoughts on that last?

r~