binutils snapshots no longer build gas

David Edelsohn dje@watson.ibm.com
Mon Apr 24 23:37:00 GMT 1995

	The current state implies that GAS does not build or function at all.
I agree that making GAS the default system assembler may cause some
problems for users, but not building GAS at all seems to be an incorrect
solution at the opposite extreme.  At IBM Watson, I have gas from
binutils-2.5.2 installed as "gas" not "as".  I think the biggest problem
with the current distribution is that this debugging problem is hidden in
a FIXME comment instead of in the GAS documentation for the AIX XCOFF
configuration.  I would let the user/installer decide whether s/he wants
a partially functional GAS instead of implying that no functionality exists.
	Also, AIX XAS has a bug not present in GAS which prevents it from
assembling certain GCC output for the POWER/2 architecture.  XAS incorrectly
exits with an error when it see certain POWER/2 and POWER instructions
utilized in the same assembler source file believing that it is an invalid
combination.

David