binutils snapshots no longer build gas

David Edelsohn dje@watson.ibm.com
Mon Apr 24 20:58:00 GMT 1995

Ken> I think the problem was that gas couldn't handle certain types of
Ken> debugging information used in XCOFF format.  Maybe having to do with
Ken> inline functions from header files?  Ian knows the details, but he's on
Ken> leave.

	GAS does have some limitations with respect to XCOFF support
including the problem with included files which you mention, but I do not
understand why that is important enough to disable the AIX XCOFF
configuration of GAS.  Some support is better than no support: IBM XAS still
is distributed with AIX 4.1 so one can use that if one encounters the
debugging information limitation.

David