elf.sc and shared library for binutils

Mike Meissner meissner@cygnus.com
Mon Feb 27 06:54:00 GMT 1995

| On Feb 25,  5:06pm, H.J. Lu wrote:
| > Subject: elf.sc and shared library for binutils
| > Here are some comments from elf.sc:
| >
| >   /* Adjust the address for the data segment.  We want to adjust up
| >      the same address within the page on the next page up.  It
| would
| >      be more correct to do this:
|
| 	Maybe I am missing something, but why is this so important.
|  All we
| end up doing is wasting one page of VM (not physical memory, just
| virtual memory).
| Is there something else here?

If you don't do this, each program will be one physical page larger,
since the pages in the data area would start on a new page, leaving a
hole in the program file as it exists on disk between the text and
data.

This is why V.4 specifies this behavior.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
Suite 105, 48 Grove Street, Somerville, MA 02144, USA