[Bug debuginfod/28034] %-escape url characters

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Tue Jul 20 18:13:51 GMT 2021

Hi -

> Could you rewrite the commit message to describe what is done in this
> patch?

(Yeah, Noah's commit text on his branch was corrected.)

> [...]
> I note that filename is actually the full path component of the URL so
> includes slashes ('/'). curl_easy_escape seems to convert these to %2F
> (if I am correct). Is this intended?

It's harmless.

> > +Note: the client should %-escape characters in /SOURCE/FILE that are not shown as "unreserved" in section 2.3 of RFC3986.
>
> This is a very long line. Could you break it up?
> Also, maybe just give the information instead of only a reference.
> (The "unreserved" characters are "a"-"z"", "A"-"Z", "0"-"9", "-", ".", "_" and "~")
> Also same question as above. slash ('/') is not an unreserved
> character, should it be encoded?

As we know from the status quo working for a year+, it doesn't matter
for "/".  But RFC3986 does not give a character class that corresponds
exactly to what MUST be encoded, so for documentation purposes this
simple SHOULD guidance seems fine.

- FChE