build-ids, .debug_sup and other IDs

Tom Tromey tom@tromey.com
Tue Mar 2 22:04:29 GMT 2021

>> But, this seemed a bit weird.  What if both appear and they are
>> different?  Then a single API isn't so great -- you want to check the ID
>> corresponding to whatever was in the original file.

Frank> If both appear and are different, can we characterize the elf file as
Frank> malformed?

Not really, nothing specifies that these must be the same.

Frank> Or debuginfod could export the content under -both- IDs, if there were
Frank> two valid candidates, and just go with the flow.  Let the clients
Frank> choose which ID they prefer to look up by.

There's a namespace problem here.  You could, in theory, have executable
A with build id AAAA, and also executable B with debug_sup id also AAAA.
This could be fixed with some kind of query parameter.  It would be easy
on the gdb side to supply this information.

Tom