PATCH: PR27413: use bsdtar to unpack deb-related formats

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Wed Feb 17 19:41:05 GMT 2021

Hi Frank,

On Sun, 2021-02-14 at 16:06 -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler via Elfutils-devel
wrote:
> commit 6c607f8df4ee6f7a31e25ed07d4fe43a11c32804
> Author: Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com>
> Date:   Sun Feb 14 16:02:05 2021 -0500
>
>     PR27413: use bsdtar to unpack deb-related formats
>
>     dpkg-deb has been reported to be fragile when running under
>     debuginfod, whereas bsdtar (libarchive) is happy with all these
>     flavors of files.  Switch to a bsdtar based pipeline, now
>     equipped with an escaped glob pattern that adapts to a variety
>     of interior data.tar* compression formats.
>
>     No testsuite impact.  .ipk format tested with some random openwrt and
>     kino-extension binaries found on the net.  Some of these are built
>     with out buildid, and hardly any with debuginfo, but whatever, bsdtar
>     and elfutils extract whatever info is there.

Thanks. Do we need a NEWS entry for this? As if people do read
documentation :) It is probably unlikely might be that people have
dpkg-deb installed, but not bsdtar. In which case their setup might
suddenly break. If we have it in NEWS we can at least say "told you
so".

Cheers,