[musl] Re: [QUESTION] Which fnmatch() functionality does elfutils depend on?

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Tue Oct 27 15:04:44 GMT 2020

On Tue, 2020-10-27 at 10:19 +0100, Florian Weimer via Elfutils-devel
wrote:
> * Rich Felker:
>
> > As I stated in my other reply, I'm opposed to that because it does not
> > admit implementation with the same (very desirable) big-O properties,
> > and the "extmatch" syntax is not widely known or widely used.
>
> The syntax comes from ksh and is used in shell scripts.  (bash requires
> the extglob option to enable it, which makes it easy to search for
> instances.)

Right, it is also adopted by zsh and some other shells. The big-O
properties don't really matter in this case because fnmatch is used on
small input strings like file names (or in this case section names).

Cheers,

Mark