[QUESTION] Which fnmatch() functionality does elfutils depend on?

Érico Nogueira ericonr@disroot.org
Mon Oct 26 17:28:59 GMT 2020

On Mon Oct 26, 2020 at 3:10 PM -03, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Érico,
>
> On Mon, 2020-10-26 at 12:03 -0300, Érico Nogueira via Elfutils-devel
> wrote:
> > Do elfutils program actually depend on the extra functionality
> > enabled by
> > FNM_EXTMATCH? Is changing the flag to have no effect a "bug"?
>
> Yes. The extended wildcard pattern is relied upon by both
> eu-strip with
>
> --keep-section=SECTION Keep the named section. SECTION is an
> extended wildcard pattern. May be given
> more than once.
>
> and eu-elfcompress with
>
> -n, --name=SECTION SECTION name to (de)compress, SECTION is an
> extended wildcard pattern (defaults to
> '.?(z)debug*')
>
> In the eu-strip case it might be reasoned that instead of a
> wildcard pattern the user might most of the time simply provide
> a section name as is (especially since the option may be given
> multiple times). But in the case of eu-elfcompress the
> program relies on the default SECTION name being an extended
> wildcard pattern. So not supporting FNM_EXTMATCH breaks the
> default functionality of eu-elfcompress.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Understood, thank you. I'm replying to the musl mailing list as well,
then, to hopefully gather more opinions, since I don't know what the
best way of solving this would be.

Thanks,
Érico