contrasting elfutils debuginfod and clr-debug-info server

Arjan van de Ven arjan@linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 7 14:46:00 GMT 2020

On 2/7/2020 1:06 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> Some contrasts in a tabular form:
>>
>>                      clear-linux                                elfutils
>>
>> indexed             by filename                                by buildid
>> client side sw      fuse server                                apprx. none
>> server side sw      plain file server                          debuginfod
>> server side disk    unpacked, unified-namespace layout         orig pkg set
>> multi-version       maybe, if /usr/src/XXXX filenames unique   no problem
>
> When using newer rpm then the filenames should be unique:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ParallelInstallableDebuginfo
>
> But I am not sure how it would handle multiple versions of
> executables.

since all tools ask for those by buildid those actually work even easier

>> multi-arch          req. separate servers                      no problem
>> multi-distro        req. separate servers                      one server ok
>
> One of the use cases of debuginfod is working with local/team builds
> for binaries not packaged by a distro. How does clear-linux handle that?

we allow for multiple URLs on the client side
(this is also how we do mirrors/etc)

supporting mirrors/CDN/... for the common files is imho almost more critical as supporting
multi-distro kind of things.. so a table like this should have a line for that.