contrasting elfutils debuginfod and clr-debug-info server

Arjan van de Ven arjan@linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 5 22:05:00 GMT 2020

On 2/5/2020 11:14 AM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi, Arjan -
>
>>>                       clear-linux                                elfutils
>>>
>>> indexed             by filename                                by buildid
>
>> actually the clear side provides both build id and filename, the
>> tools on the client (gdb and the like) try buildid first, and fall
>> back to filename, and we just do both
>
> AIUI that works by using the "/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/HE/XCODE" as the
> key, i.e., the build-id as a file name.

sure but it's not "/usr/bin/true" of which  you might have different versions over
the lifespan of a distro through its updates

(e.g. you can connect gdb to a process that got updated on disk later and still get the right answers)

the disinction of having the "/.build-id/" prefix versus just the code is not a huge difference
(so all the things you can do with just the number you can do with the prefix added as well)