contrasting elfutils debuginfod and clr-debug-info server

Arjan van de Ven arjan@linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 5 19:11:00 GMT 2020

On 2/5/2020 9:32 AM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Through some comments on phoronix [0], just became (re?)aware of the
> neat clear-linux debuginfo server facility [1].  It's similar to the
> nixos one we have mentioned before in that it relies on a local fuse
> server expose remote debuginfo artifacts under /usr/src,
> /usr/lib/debug etc.  to local tools.  The server side relies on a web
> server [2] that has a carefully unpacked, unified-namespace tree of
> all the artifacts into individual .tar files.  This has some
> pros/cons, naturally.
>
> Some contrasts in a tabular form:
>
>                      clear-linux                                elfutils
>
> indexed             by filename                                by buildid

actually the clear side provides both build id and filename, the tools on the client
(gdb and the like) try buildid first, and fall back to filename, and we just do both

one of our requirements was that the server side is just "flat http files" so that no
active components exist on the server (so that CDNs and mirrors scale this out with low
friction)