[ECOS] Re: is eCos dying?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Mon Oct 12 23:57:00 GMT 2015

On 06/10/15 08:51, Richard Rauch wrote:
> You do not see a lot of activities in the eCos community because of politics
> and commercial interests.
[snip]
> This is just a guess, but in my opinion the reason for this is, that the
> maintainers of public eCos are as well strongly commercial oriented.
> It seems, they will not put any port to official open source repository if
> it could disturb commercial interests (eCosCentric/eCosPro...).

If nothing else, look at the list at the bottom of
http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html and you'll see that only two of the
maintainers (myself and Nick) are in eCosCentric - severely outnumbered! If a
maintainer has the time and ability to go through, review and potentially
rework any submission, then any of them can. If you think there has been some
secret agreement behind-the-scenes between all maintainers to deliberately
stop contributions being committed you are very mistaken.

> Additionally I need to say, that you will be thwarted, if you try to offer
> commercial activities as well. If you are not absolutely carefully about
> usage of eCos name and logo, you will get some letters from eCosCentric's
> lawyer!

I'm not speaking for eCosCentric here, and I definitely don't know all the
details (not my dept.!), but I do know that if any trademark holder knowingly
fails to enforce an abuse of a trademark (such as incorporating that trademark
into your own mark which you then assert as a trademark), then that trademark
is being diluted and as a result can become legally unenforceable (you can't
enforce against one abuse, if you deliberately turned a blind eye to another).
And obviously no-one would want to lose all protection of the eCos trademark
entirely. That's my take on it anyway.