[ECOS] redboot on STM3240G-EVAL board

Oleg Uzenkov o.uzenkov@unicore.co.ua
Fri Oct 10 05:52:00 GMT 2014

> ELF files are quite large, what is the preferred format for an image
> to be passed to redboot?  what "load" and "fis create" command look
> like?
> **Roughly** speaking, you save .text segment in FLASH (adjusted to flash
> block erase size), you save not ELF image! So, do not mess with
> binaries. Also `load' command does not carry whole ELF image into RAM,
> but .text segment with a few other segments.
The thing is:
I will need to work with files (new firmware should arrive to sdcard on
the board through ftp in a main app). I want redboot to pick a new image
up from sdcard at reset.
Extracting sections from received ELF file and transferring them to
redboot is more of a manual work.
So, I think I am kind of stuck with ELF files.

So I am thinking:

* Should I load compressed ELF file (gzip) with -d switch?

* Should I load SREC file (they are usually smaller than ELF)?

* Should I save executable sections and store them in a file. Transfer
that file to sdcard for redboot to pick it up at reset.
(nor sure how to do it actually)

* Can I actually load a .bin (image in binary format)?

Thanks.
Oleg