[ECOS] redboot on STM32f4-discovery board

Oleg Uzenkov o.uzenkov@unicore.co.ua
Thu Oct 9 15:48:00 GMT 2014

Hello All,

I have tried to run redboot on a custom board (very similar to
STM32f4-discovery board, so let's say that we have discovery in question).

I do understand that there is a little point to run redboot on a board
without external RAM (due to memory limitations).

At this moment, I am not looking at loading and storing images via
redboot (this would be the next step, the images will be small).

I just would like to get redboot working on a board without external RAM.

These are my findings so far:

1. I built redboot for ROM startup (applied relevant adjustings from
stm3240g_eval's  redboot_rom.ecm)

2. flashed the board with redboot at 0x08000000

3.
when CYGOPT_REDBOOT_FIS == 0 redboot loads, but is very unstable, can
stop working any time... But, without Flash Image System I do not see
how to use redboot to load and store and run images.

when CYGOPT_REDBOOT_FIS == 1  redboot hangs.  It happens when
do_flash_init() runs (problem in memcpy , probably illigal memory access)

A question, can actually redboot work without external ram?

If yes, how to fit it properly? (the board has stm32f407VE with 128+64
KB of internal ram, 512KB internal flash)

I would appreciate any input on this.

Oleg